I based this recipe off of bakingmischief.com
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Yield 4-6 servings
Here’s What You Need:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Pita & Toppings
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 4 pita bread loaves
- 4-5 romaine leaves, shredded
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Yogurt Sauce
- 5 to 6 ounces (2/3 cup) plain Greek yogurt*
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Place chicken in a plastic bag and pour marinade over the top. Shake to coat and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
Make Yogurt Sauce
- In a small bowl (or the disposable yogurt cup), combine ingredients and stir until well incorporated.
- Preheat your oven to the warm setting (or lowest setting).
Heat a large skillet over medium-high to high heat, add chicken thighs (dispose of the marinade) and cook for 2-4 minutes until first side is seared and darkly golden. Flip and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the thighs reads 160 °F. Flip chicken again if necessary and turn down the heat if the chicken seems to be burning.
Transfer chicken to a plate and place a piece of foil over the thighs to keep them warm. Set aside.
Over medium high-heat, deglaze your pan with a little chicken broth or water (about a quarter cup), scraping the burned and blackened pieces off the bottom while the liquid simmers.
Add onions to your pan.
Place your pita bread into the warm oven to heat while your onions cook.
Cook onions until your they reach your desired level of doneness (for me, about 4 minutes for fairly soft onions). Remove from heat.
- Slice thighs into strips and serve over warmed pita bread. Top with cooked onions, romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, and yogurt sauce.
Pretty easy meal. A lot simpler than a lot of other gyro recipes I’ve found. still quite tasty.