I based this recipe off of gimmesomeoven.com
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Yield 6 servings
Here’s What You Need:
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into small 1/2-inch pieces (*or see substitution below for using pre-cooked shredded chicken)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans or lentils, rinsed and drained
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican-blend shredded cheese
- 1 batch red enchilada sauce, or 1 can store-bought enchilada sauce
- (optional: 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare your enchilada sauce, if making homemade.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add diced chicken and green chiles, and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble the enchiladas, set up an assembly line including: tortillas, enchilada sauce, beans, chicken mixture, and cheese. Lay out a tortilla, and spread two tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Add beans in a line down the middle of the tortilla, then add in a spoonful of the chicken mixture, then sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Then spread the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas, and sprinkle on the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately, garnished with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
I really enjoyed these enchiladas! next time I think I’ll go without the beans, but thats just my preference.