I based this recipe off of spicedblog.com
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Yield 4 servings
Here’s What You Need:
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh scallions, chopped (plus more for garnish
- Using a large saucepan, add the chicken broth and rice. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until broth is fully absorbed (~45 minutes). (Tip: Do not stir rice once you cover the pan and reduce heat.) Once broth has been absorbed, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- After the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes, place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Set sausage aside, but leave the fat in the skillet.
- Add the onion, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Saute over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until soft (~10-12 minutes).
- Add the remaining ingredients (salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, parsley and scallions). Stir and cook over low heat until rice is done.
- Add the cooked rice and stir. Garnish with additional chopped scallions before serving.
Pretty good. Nice and spicy. Served it up with the chipotle lime shrimp.