I based this recipe off of thekitchn.com
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 8 hours
Total Time 8 hours 10 minutes
Yield 6-8 servings
Here’s What You Need:
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or a mix
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chili peppers, preferably “fire-roasted”
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 13.5-ounce can cannellini or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn
To serve: shredded monterey jack cheese, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, sour cream, hot sauce
- Combine the chicken, onions, celery, green chili peppers, garlic, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, coriander, oregano, and bay leaf in a 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Stir to make sure the spices coat everything, and nestle the chicken into the vegetables. Pour the chicken stock over top, covering the chicken and vegetables by an inch or so.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, remove the lid of the slow cooker and add the beans and corn. Taste and add another 1/2 teaspoon of salt or other seasonings as desired. Add the lid back on and cook for the remaining time.
- shred chicken into large, bite-sized pieces with two forks. Stir the chicken back into the soup and remove the bay leaf.
- Serve with shredded cheese, wedges of lime, chopped cilantro, and sour cream.
- The soup will keep for 5 days refrigerated or 3 months frozen.
Love how easy this recipe was. I made some cornbread to go along with it and it was delicious.