I based this recipe off of thecafesucrefarine.com
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Yield 6-8 servings
Here’s What You Need:
- Ingredients for the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- taste and add salt if needed
- Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce , chopped in approximately ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced in ¼-inch pieces**, I used small orange-hued
- peppers (the mini ones). Feel free to use whichever color you want.
- ½ medium red onion, diced in ¼-inch pieces**
- ½ medium jicama, peeled and diced in ¼-inch pieces**
- 1 medium zucchini, diced in ¼-inch dice**
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced into ¼-inch dice**
- 1 can corn
- 1½ cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro, plus whole cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
- tortilla strips
- For the dressing, combine lime juice, honey, cumin garlic and salt. Stir to combine. In a slow, steady stream, add the oils, stirring continuously with a fork or small whisk. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
- For the salad, Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add dressing and stir to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla strips on top or place a bowl on the side and let guests help themselves.
This is my absolute favorite salad that I’ve ever made/had. The dressing is so good. The original recipe recommends making your own tortilla strips and using fresh corn on the cob, but its much easier to make if you use pre made tortilla strips and a can of corn. It’s probably just as good. I served this alongside some taco stuffed bell peppers. mmmm.