I based this recipe off of aspicyperspective.com
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Yield 10 servings
Here’s What You Need:
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese + 1/2 cup if baking
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped chive for garnish
- Set out the cold ingredients to bring to room temperature. Peel the potatoes(optional) and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Place the potato cubes and minced garlic in a large stockpot, then cover with cold water. Add 1 tablespoon salt to the water and bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 10-14 minutes, until you can easily cut the potatoes with a butter knife.
- Drain the potatoes and immediately mash. Mash the potatoes until almost completely smooth.
- Place the butter and half & half in a microwave-safe bowl and warm so that the butter melts into the half & half.
- Once the potatoes are mashed, add the butter mixture to the potatoes and mix to incorporate. Then mix in the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Serve the hot fluffy mashed potatoes as-is or bake.
- Baking instructions: For a crispy top, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop the mashed potatoes into a large saute pan. Sprinkle with an additional 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese, and bake for 20 minutes. Once out of the oven sprinkle with chopped chive and serve warm.
These potatoes were amazing. Terrible for you I’m sure, but really really good. I might recommend using a little less half and half as mine were a little too soupy for me. But I might not have had exactly 5 pounds of potato to start with either.