- I am in no way an expert chef
- I’m actually pretty bad at cooking
- I do this for fun
I’ve based this pretzel dog experience off of this recipie
Total Time:26 min
Here’s what you need:
- Nonstick spray
- 1 can pizza dough
- hot dogs
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each into a long rope about 8 inches long.
- Wrap each hot dog with 1 ropes
- Dissolve the baking soda into the hot water.
- brush each with the baking soda mixture and then with the melted butter. Sprinkle with sea salt
- Place into the oven and bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
If you continue to read my blog you’ll soon realize that I LOVE hot dogs. always have always will, most of my own good inventions contain hot dogs in some form or another.
For this lunch I only had 4 leftover hot dogs so I decided to make a few pretzel balls on the side with the left over dough.
First started off by dissolving the baking soda in the water while I rolled out the dough. I didn’t measure real well*, but it worked out. Next I melted the butter.
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE:
like I said I’m bad at this. Melting butter on defrost mode for 1 pound in a apparently not so microwave safe cup is a bad idea. Melted a hole right through it.
After cleaning up the butter mess, I wrapped the hot dogs in the dough, and made the extra dough into balls.
Next I brushed them with the baking soda water and then the second attempt at melted butter. I had a hard time keeping the dough in place, especially after it got wet with the baking soda mixture. But it worked out.
Then I popped it into the oven for 10 minutes and wa-lah!
These turned out quite tasty and would definitely make them again. I enjoyed them with plain yellow mustard and an amazing beer, but you can choose your own condiments and sides. I actually wasn’t super happy with the way that the pretzel balls turned out(they didnt want to stay in the ball form after putting the baking soda water on them), and to be honest they aren’t very pretzely. but for my first try i think it went OK
Hope you all enjoyed this. Leave a comment if you tried these out and let me know how it went!